Subject: Re: default postfix versus sendmail (was: afterboot)
To: NetBSD install list <>
From: William Allen Simpson <>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/26/2003 16:53:31
"Perry E. Metzger" wrote:
> William Allen Simpson <> writes:
> > I've never used postfix, but have heard good things.
> >
> >  Q1: Should install default to postfix?
> I would say so, but I'm not going to push for that because it would be
> a very controversial move.
The default mail install is broken.  And security notifications are
missing!  I'm willing to try to raise the controversy.

> >  Q2: Is there a reasonable postfix configuration that sends out (to
> >      handle the recommended sending of send-pr and such), sends to
> >      localhost (to handle daily and such), and does not receive from
> >      outside mail (to prevent being a relay box by default)?
> Postfix is trivially configured to send mail out but not allow it
> in. Simply comment out the smtp service in when you're
> configuring things and it won't listen to the network, only send.
Trivially is Good!

> Dunno how to do that with sendmail -- I'd hope it was possible but I
> don't know.
KRE gives the answer, but it's not trivial.

Thus, I've submitted:

  install/21998: /etc/daily security mail broken, need to install
           postfix localhost by default

William Allen Simpson