Subject: default postfix versus sendmail (was: afterboot)
To: NetBSD install list <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/26/2003 14:26:21
This sounds like a "policy" decision needs to be made, and then the
installer fixed.  Are such policy decisions made in these lists, or by
the "core" staff?

"Perry E. Metzger" wrote:

> William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com> writes:
> > I didn't tamper with rc.conf, after all, I didn't want to receive mail,
> > just expected it to send locally.
> >
> > I'd always thought OpenBSD was pretty battened down, but this is
> > excessive!
>
> Dunno enough about sendmail to know exactly what you need in order to
> do local mail properly. I used to but it has been too many years since
> I switched to postfix. However, I think I may have heard that these
> days sendmail works with a split submission agent and daemon for
> security, and that would imply that you can't use sendmail locally any
> more without running some sort of daemon. I may be wrong on this
> though.

yes.  I found the wayward undelivered files in /var/spool/clientmqueue.

I see that postfix and sendmail are both in etc/defaults/rc.conf.

I've never used postfix, but have heard good things.

 Q1: Should install default to postfix?

 Q2: Is there a reasonable postfix configuration that sends out (to
     handle the recommended sending of send-pr and such), sends to
     localhost (to handle daily and such), and does not receive from
     outside mail (to prevent being a relay box by default)?
--
William Allen Simpson