Subject: Re: afterboot says mail working, but not true!
To: NetBSD install list <>
From: William Allen Simpson <>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/26/2003 12:38:05
"Perry E. Metzger" wrote:
> Happens for me, and if you look, /usr/src/etc/crontab is indeed
> running "daily", and daily does indeed run the security script. Maybe
> it is the fact that your mail is broken that is causing you not to see
> it.
Yes, the details I sent were for the failed delivery of daily security
script.  As I said, mail not working in default install.

> > man afterboot says:
> >   "NetBSD ships with a default /etc/mail/ file that will work
> >   for simple installations;"
> >
> > Nope, not working.  Spool files show:
> Are you sure you have sendmail running right in addition? The .cf file
> might be sufficient for your needs but you still need to set up your
> rc.conf file correctly to make sendmail run etc.
I didn't tamper with rc.conf, after all, I didn't want to receive mail,
just expected it to send locally.

I'd always thought OpenBSD was pretty battened down, but this is

Robert Elz wrote:
> Is sendmail enabled (in rc.conf).   By default on a NetBSD install, just
> about nothing is turned on.  Sendmail certainly isn't on by default
> (though that shouldn't affect local mail, which is what the daily security
> report should be ... or perhaps now it will, with the new sendmail
> submission method, where mail goes from one process to another).
I agree that it shouldn't affect local mail.  And I have no clear idea
on how to turn it on without receiving outside mail.  Suggestion?

> Never occurred to me, I just enable sendmail as one of my first actions
> (long time before /etc/daily gets a chance to run).

William Allen Simpson