Subject: Re: should sysinst change MBR_PTYPE_386BSD to MBR_PTYPE_NETBSD?
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/15/2003 18:06:50
David Laight wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 02:12:58PM -0400, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> > On a related question, please support the MBR_PTYPE and disklabel
> > formats from OpenBSD and FreeBSD.
>
> That is a kernel issue not an install issue.

I respectfully disagree -- they are related -- and are primarily
encountered during installation.

The MBR editor does not understand the partition number for OpenBSD.
(Probably just a table that needs updating.)

Merely changing the MBR number, disklabel does not understand the
OpenBSD disklabel.  (At least, it didn't when I tried with just released
1.6 in September and early October, and wrote about it here....)

--
William Allen Simpson