Subject: Re: sysinst and installing to partitions on several harddisks
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 03/11/2003 14:57:35
Hi all,

I've been looking a bit into making sysinst able to install across
several disks. Here are some ideas. Comments are very welcome:

Change let the variables 'disk' and 'diskdev' be an arrays, that
contains all disks, that we want to install onto. Change find_disks()
to fill up this array according to user choice. 'dlcyl', 'dlhead' etc.
need to bee arrays as well.

Now md_make_bsd_partitions() needs to make bsdlabel an array over disks
and partitions. Basically we'll run make bsd_partitions for each disk.
We obviously need to write the disklabelfor each disk in
write_disklabel().

We might want to update make_filesystems() to ensure that nested
partitions are created and mounted in the correct order (e.g. /usr
before /usr/src).

make_fstab() might also need some ordering.

...just a thought. I hope I find some time to refresh my C skills and
to work on this.

Daniel