Subject: unattened boot/install question
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org, tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Jian Song <Jian.Song@nominum.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 03/03/2003 12:02:49
Hi:

I was researching how to make an unattended install/boot cd rom for
netbsd 1.6.
The problem I want to solve is that I need to build a cd, which upon
inserted
into a brand new box upon booting will automatically does the following
things:
1. partitioning the hard disks into several pre-determined partitions.
2. auto install the os without any user interations.

To do 2 it means that I can't run sysinit. I have a shell script that
does the foll
owing things:
1. figure out the disk size.
2. perform partions.
3. unzip tar the os sets.

But the questions are:
1. how to build netbsd 1.6 so that it won't use sysinit but using the
install scrip
t I wrote.
2. what changes do I have to add to make floppy and ramdisk.  Is it
simply adding a
 ramdisk-myram under the directory src/distrib/i386/floppies?

Thanks,

John Song
jsong@nominum.com