Subject: more netbsd-1-6 sysinst notes
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 02/27/2003 23:08:40
This is i386. The source was Feb. 26. It took over 20 hours to build :)

1) I used the reinstall menu choice (to install man.tgz that wasn't
installed with a "Full" install). I chose just "man". It installed. But I
received a message: "Unpacking sets has clobbered the target /etc.".

This was not true. /etc didn't appear to be touched. And it didn't reset
rc_configured as it suggested.

2) The reinstall new sets (not upgrade) makes new device files. I don't
think that is needed when just adding a new set.

3) Once I stopped the reinstall sets by choosing the media as none (IIRC).
Then I restarted it, but it had problems. The fsck was verbose on wd0e and
all was okay. Then fsck prompted "MARK FILE SYSTEM CLEAN". I chose "y" and
sysinst complained that it was not mounted and "Upgrade aborted".

I tried it three times. The logging and scripting showed it was mounting
it first then doing fsck on the raw device.

4) Just like I mentioned in previous email about many man pages were
missing, I also see that the xfont set was not installed using "Full". I
noticed because XFree86 complained and /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts directory
was missing. So untarred it. (The xservers was already installed by
sysinst.)

5) Then I saw that the RGB_DB was missing. And the showrgb command was
missing too. (xcontrib was installed: I see xeyes, xman, xmessage, et
cetera; and xcomp was successful too: I see mkdirhier and mergelib.) So
Full was missing xbase too. I untarred it manually then.

I am teaching a class next week in Phoenix, Arizona focusing on
NetBSD/i386 1.6.1. I'll just make sure my students do not choose "Full".
(Note the missing sets happened with two different builds on netbsd-1-6 --
both from this week. One from releng and one of my own.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/