Subject: Re: Clean installation problems
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 02/07/2003 13:18:25
David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> writes:
> > > 1) init has to create a mfs /dev because /dev/console is absent.
> > >    There are two problems:
> >
> > That happened on a clean default install on an x86? I've done several
> > of these recently and although I've had issues, that wasn't one of
> > them.
>
> It was, it may be that I managed to abort it slightly early.

Running MAKEDEV is one of the last things that happens, so it isn't
surprising.

The mfs /dev/ hack was designed to allow booting on FAT file systems
and other systems where there is no ability to build device nodes --
it isn't really intended that people run into this ordinarily...

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com