Subject: Re: Criteria for TINY install media
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: David Brownlee <>
List: tech-install
Date: 02/07/2003 10:31:07
On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, John Hawkinson wrote:

> Moved to tech-install; source-changes remains in the envelope.
> David Brownlee <> wrote on Thu,  6 Feb 2003
> at 13:37:03 +0000 in <>:
> > I think the criteria for TINY should be 'has a hope of working
> > on 4MB machines', and as such any increase in size should be
> > avoided whenever possible...
> This seems reasonable criteria.
> However there's no good way to do it with the current implementation.
> One should be able to say "in all sets except TINY," or otherwise
> usefully express exclusions. Would you care to implement [or suggest
> implementation] of a good way to do that?

	Currently sysinst conditionally checks for dhclient, which is
	omitted on tiny. The same could be done for progress, though
	that would involve adding 'PROG    usr/bin/progress' to N
	different list.* files.

	A while back I had a look at merging the various .list files
	across different architectures by passing it through m4 first.
	The same could be done with an extra option for 'TINY'...

		David/absolute          -- No hype required --