Subject: Re: install/5050 - Fix for this PR?
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 02/01/2003 18:17:11
On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Julio Merino wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What about the following fix for this PR? This seems the best solution
> imho, as we let the user choose how many chunks he wants (and lets him
> write chunks of any size). As he will be writting disks, he will know
> how many disks contain each set.
>
> Just to say that the hardcoded number of floppies is out of sync with
> reality. I tried to install 1.6 and had to figure which was the proper
> chunk size to create each disk set (so they matched the value in sysint).
>
> Here is the patch. Comments?

	It would probably make sense to nuke fdlast from distinfo altogether.

	Thinking about it - sysinst should be able to tell when you hit the
	last disk:

	Suggestion (I):

	  Define a set of known disk sizes

	  When building sets:
	    - If its a single image and any of the known disk sizes, add a
	      null byte
	    - If the last disk in a set, and the same as the other disk
	      images, add a null byte

	  At install time:
	    - read the first disk image, if it is one of the known disk
	      sizes, remember it and prompt for the next.
	    - continue until you hit an image of a different size

	  This could cost an extra disk with a single null byte in some
	  very rare cases :)

	Suggestion (II):

	  Encode the number of disks in the filename:
	  eg: bas-aabh, bas-abbh, bas-acbh... bas-bhbh

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --