Subject: Re: sshd won't allow access by root
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Robby Griffin <rmg@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/27/2002 13:22:59
On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 07:11:56 EDT, William Allen Simpson wrote:

>I had to call the U, drive back (20 minutes each way), get somebody to
>let me in after hours, install a backup user on wheel, discovering along
>the way that the adding users documentation is contradictory and
>insufficient.

>In my application, which is managing remote POPs for an ISP, many of
>which are several hours drives for my staff, and a 17 hour drive for me,
>I need a simple method of installation with remote management.

Sounds like you really want to use your serial ports as backup access
for times when the network's not working. For one machine at a remote
location, setting up a modem to dial in directly would probably
do. For many machines, you'd want serial consoles connected to
terminal servers. With serial console support in the installer, I
haven't done an i386 installation using a directly connected monitor
and keyboard in a long time.

	--Robby