Subject: Re: problems 1.6 install i386 via MSDOS
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/24/2002 13:35:03
In general, sysinst sucks rocks. We probably have to rewrite it from
scratch -- I don't think it can be fixed, it has too many things wrong.

William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com> writes:
> (A) INSTALL step 7: "wd1: no disk label" appeared in a random spot on
> the screen.
>
> Not true.  OpenBSD is installed.  (When I returned to OpenBSD as
> described later, OpenBSD recognized NetBSD, and even was willing to
> use the disklabel.)

Ah, but OpenBSD uses a different MBR partition type. NetBSD scans the
MBR on that disk, finds no NetBSD partitions, and thus can't find a
BSD disklabel at block 2 of said MBR partition. Thus, you lose. :(

> (C) INSTALL step 9: I selected Megabytes.  The resulting displays are
> nearly useless.  (I see that this has been mentioned recently.)

What do you mean by "useless" -- could you explain in more detail so
we can try to fix the bug?

Re: other things you note:
> Niels Provos fixed this for OpenBSD, and he's applied to be a NetBSD
> developer, so maybe he'll be willing to work on this?

You'll have to ask him.

> (H) INSTALL between 11 and 12: "normal set of bootblocks or serial
> bootblocks?"
>
> No explanation in INSTALL.  Picked "Normal", hope that is OK.

Serial boot blocks = boot blocks that speak to the serial port (useful
for headless machines).

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com