Subject: Re: 1.6_RC3 sysinst issues?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/06/2002 12:17:37
On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 07:01:57PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> 2) It is unclear why fdisk showing in cylinder mode and megabytes mode
> shows start before a previous partition's end:

I'm not sure about this, but on a related note, cylinder mode is
somewhat broken on i386 on large disks due to the way the cylinder
size is calculated...

> 3) fdisk shows types like "Linux extended", but if you choose to change,
> there is no option to save current partition ID type. So you lose it.

Hmm, easily fixed...

> 4) fdisk allows you to set active, but never shows it. (No indicator if
> active or not.)

It shows in reverse video for me - is that not what you are seeing?
Were you using a serial port or monitor/keyboard for the console?

> 5) The boot selector, should use partition ID names as the default boot
> selector labels.

I think I have this in my local tree, but it has problems when there
are two partitions of the same type - should be simple enough to fix.

> 7) There was no way to exit fdisk to go back (for example to tell it to
> use whole disk). CTRL-C works then type "./sysinst".

That is annoying, yes...

> 8) disklabel properly told me that "Standard w/ X" was too big and dumped
> me into custom mode. It defaulted to disklabel partition that extended
> outside of my fdisk partitions and over fdisk partitions for different OS.
> This was user error -- I should have seen this. But I was going quick and
> assumed that it was just using the amount of space available. (This may
> have caused above #6 boot issue.)

How much ram did you have in this system? Standard and Standard w/X
are somewhat dubious, and want to allocate 2 x ram for swap (I was
told that my 1gig "test" partition wasn't big enough, because the box
had 512mb ram, grr).

> 9) It asks about normal versus serial bootblocks. But sysinst never tells
> the user what that means. (sysinst is usually good at briefly explaining
> strengths and weaknesses of other tasks though.)

Easily fixed. :)

> 10) When it showed the time (in the timezone setup), the screen flickered
> a lot. Maybe it should only refresh time every two or five seconds or so.
> Or maybe don't rewrite so much of the display each time.

Or maybe it doesn't matter at all, just display the current time and
be done with it .. I hate this part, too :)

> 11) When sysinst is "now complete", you press enter. But then you are back
> at "Welcome to sysinst". This is confusing. It should have option to
> "reboot". (Because exit gives a shell prompt and a person installing could
> be really lost.)
>
> Should I send-pr any or all?

Yes, please send-pr this - I can certainly do something about some of
these fairly soon. Thanks for noting this stuff down :)

g.