Subject: Re: headless install
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Oliver Tonnhofer <olt@bogosoft.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/10/2002 17:11:17
Hallo Aaron,

a.conrad@ix.netcom.com (Aaron C. Springer) wrote:
>Yes! The boot-com1.fs and the boot2.fs worked great.
>
>The com settings are 9600/8/n/1 all kernel ouput is visible, no login or id
>required, it prompts for disk2.

During the installation you have to select the 'serial bootblock' and
not the normal. And after installation and before the first reboot, you
have to change /etc/ttys:

Goto Utilities Menu and select /bin/sh.
# cd /mnt/etc/
# ed ttys
7
s/Pc/std.9600/
s/pc3/vt220/
s/off/on/
# reboot

With this little modification you are able to login over serial console.

To be OnTopic: Isn't it possible to change sysinst to do this /etc/ttys
modification, when serial bootblock is selected? It would be nice.

>I hope this capability is a permanent addition.

It is not a new feature. At least in 1.5.2 you could press any key
during the bootloader msg and type 'consdev com0' for switching the
console to the serial port.

-----
>> NetBSD/i386 BIOS Boot, Revision 2.7
>> (he@hamster.urc.uninett.no, Thu Jun 13 05:57:50 CEST 2002)
>> Memory: 640/48128 k
Use hd1a:netbsd to boot sd0 when wd0 is also installed
Press return to boot now, any other key for boot menu
booting wd0a:netbsd - starting in 5
-----

>One OpenBSD user has just been converted to NetBSD!

Nice :)

~
Oliver