Subject: Re: headless install
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Aaron C. Springer <a.conrad@ix.netcom.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/08/2002 23:39:56
Thank you for your reply.
Yes I386 is what I am looking for.
The only files I see are..
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5/i386/installation/floppy/

BSDSUM
CKSUM
MD5
SYSVSUM
boot-big.fs
boot-big.fs.gz
boot-small.fs
boot-tiny.fs
boot1.fs
boot2.fs
bootlap1.fs
bootlap2.fs
rescue-small.fs
rescue-tiny.fs

I am happy to hear this capability may exist, can you point me to docs
detailing the use of the ports (com settings, user id, pw etc.)?

I will search for the above and inform the list of what I find.

acs

On 09-Aug-2002 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
>>Hello,
>>I am new to netbsd but have been using UNIX for a long time.
>>I am hoping netbsd will do what nobody else can.
>>I need complete headless support for intel hardware.
>>A pure text install that features the capability to do a headless install
>>seems
>>feasible.
>>The install could run (documented) gettys on (all?) the serial ports
>>detected allowing an admin to install the system using a dumb terminal.
>>Am I insane or can this be done?
>
>       i bet you are using i386.  you should be able to use serial console
>       for installation by using boot floppy images named "boot-com1.fs" and
>       "boot-com2.fs".  check
>       ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5/i386/installation/floppy/
>       (or relevant directory on your nearest mirrors).
>
> itojun

_______________________
Aaron C. Springer
a.conrad@ix.netcom.com