Subject: Re: rename list?
To: Diana Eichert <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 12/31/2001 13:03:44
>On 31 Dec 2001, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>>
>> Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> writes:

>> Well, "netbsd-users" doesn't have a name that particularly discourages
>> that. In fact, I'm not entirely sure what "netbsd-users" is for per
>> se, so I'm not really sure that help requests are actually off charter
>> there. I do know, however, that tech-install is for discussing
>> improvements to our installation technology and not to help people
>> with install problems.
>
>I doubt renaming it to "tech-sysinst" (for system install) is going to
>help out.  People will still think, "I'm installing NetBSD on a system,
>having problems, therefore I should post to \"tech-sysinst\" for
>assistance"
>
>I can see it already.

Call it "Bob" -- or something equally meaningless.  :-/
Realistically, the folks who subscribe to the list for
The Right Reason will know what it is and *why* it is.
If the obfuscation discourages *one* casual user from
spouting off "How do I..." questions, then it will have
served it's purpose.  :>

Though, this discussion *does* bring up a valid point;
should there be a forum for newbie "help me install this"
questions or should they fend for themselves?  I would
argue that -users is probably the most appropriate
place since YAML will just get folks crossposting to
-users, -bob (!!  :>) *and* -newbie ...

--don