Subject: Re: Suggestion: NetBSD source official ISO image
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: None <xs@nitric.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 12/16/2001 14:58:42
on Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 09:09:43AM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Carl Mascott <cmascott@att.net> writes:
> > I agree with Brad.  The budget CD vendors can't afford to invest
> > the time in activities like this when they sell CDs for only
> > $2.50 - $3.00.
>
> Putting the ISOs up isn't free, either. It requires time on the part
> of the people building them, and money for the resources to run the
> FTP site.
>
> What you are saying is that we should spend project resources so that
> for-profit companies can sell $2.50 NetBSD CDs.

Perhaps a compromise is acceptable?

In the iso subdirectory, place README.source.iso. Contained
within are simple instructions for creating a source iso image, also
pointing out that the isos already created do not include the
source code.

How to create a source iso image is probably documented elsewhere
but this makes it easy to access when you're just getting isos.
It also acts as a hint to CheapBytes/whoever.

If you don't want to spend time making the source isos yourself, why
not email cheapbytes or whoever and state your interest in it?
Or.. just buy the Wasabi CDs, which aren't *that* expensive. :)