Subject: Re: Kernel sets and non-GENERIC platforms
To: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 11/29/2001 11:52:13
On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 02:22:52PM -0500, James Chacon wrote:

 > I see no issues with this (and always was bothered by the obvious non
 > symetry when EXTRA_KERNELS got added)

FWIW, I've fleshed this out a little more.  There's some legitimate
utility to the EXTRA_KERNELS stuff.

I've done an implementation and am testing it now (cross-building
a release of NetBSD/evbarm from a NetBSD/i386 host).  Here is the
comment from etc/Makefile describing the variables:

# This target builds the kernels specified by each port.  A port may
# specify the following kernels:
#
#       KERNEL_SETS             The list of kernels that will be
#                               packaged into sets, named
#                               kern-${kernel}.tgz.  These kernels
#                               are also placed in the binary/kernels
#                               area of the release package as
#                               netbsd-${kernel}.gz.
#
#       EXTRA_KERNELS           Additional kernels to place in the
#                               binary/kernels area of the release
#                               package as netbsd-${kernel}.gz, but
#                               which are not placed into sets. This
#                               allows a port to provide e.g. a netbootable
#                               installation kernel containing a ramdisk.
#
#       BUILD_KERNELS           Additional kernels to build which are
#                               not placed into sets nor into the
#                               binary/kernels area of the release
#                               package.  These are typically kernels
#                               that are built for inclusion only in
#                               installation disk/CD-ROM/tape images.
#