Subject: Re: Booting BSD from SCSI
To: Bartek Dederen <bartek@bartek-dedersen.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 11/26/2001 21:06:41
On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 08:44:54PM +0100, Bartek Dedersen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed i386 NetBSD successful on my SCSI-disk. Now I have the
> problem, that my PC-BIOS do not recognize my SCSI-Things. So GRUB do
> not see the sd0 drive and I can't boot NetBSD in the normal way.
>
> I have solved the problem with Linux in this way:
> - made a small /boot partition on my IDE drive
> - lilo booted the kernel from the IDE driven loaded the
> SCSI-drivers and finally mounted the SCSI HDD as root filesystem.
>

> With NetBSD I do not know what to do. May I do it in the same way?
> What bootloader I have to use?

Can GRUB boot a NetBSD kernel of an ext2 partition ?
If so just compile a kernel with 'root on sd0a' in the config file and
put it in the ext2 partition.
Otherwise you need a primary partition on your IDE disk to boot NetBSD.
Or you can put this kernel on floppy, and boot from floppy.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>