Subject: Re: Sparc64, Ultra 5, and SIGILL
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/30/2001 01:31:50
On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	Its probably easier to install the latest snapshot and rebuild
> 	from there. NetBSD is just in the process of switching to a new
> 	toolchain build method that should allow any architecture to
> 	be built from any system with an ANSI C compiler, which will neatly
> 	solve any 'must update program x before you can rebuild -current'
> 	problem, but right now its less hassle to get to -current via
> 	a snapshot.

Ahh well I just managed to get the machine to successfully boot under
1.5.1. Haven't worked out where to find the virtual consoles yet though
:)

Given that situation am I still better off doing a binary upgrade?

Thanks for all your help,

Andrew

BTW you don't know off hand what the equivalent of ctrl-alt-del is on a
sparc box do you? I've been having to flick the power switch when I
stuffed up...