Subject: Sparc64, Ultra 5, and SIGILL
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/29/2001 22:28:10
Hi,

I'm trying to install NetBSD 1.5.1 on a Sun Ultra 5 workstation. I used
the miniroot technique and everything went OK until sysinst tried to
partition the disk. Something (possibly disklabel?) died with SIGILL and
something about trap 16. There were then messages about / being full. I
can't get back to this point so I can't give you the exact message :(

sysinst told me it couldn't continue so I got it to run a shell and I had
a look on the disk. There was a core file so I though rm'ing would help
the disk full problem. Alas rm dies with SIGILL also. In fact almost
every command does. They all seem to leave cores behind.

I had a look on the web and found Murray Stokely's comments that the only
way he managed to install was from Solaris so I rebooted to give it a
try...alas Solaris now panics on boot.

This is my first NetBSD install attempt so I'm not really sure where to
proceed from here. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andrew