Subject: sysinst and 9GB disk
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Juergen Tritthardt <juergent@mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/15/2001 16:18:12
Hi,

because there was now reply on the macppc list I place this message here:

> I have a problem with sysinst on an 7600/132 with a 9GB disk. sysinst
> gives me the messages
>=20
> =09The NetBSD part of your disk is 2063,83 Megabytes ...
>=20
> =09Choose you installation ...
>=20
> =09You have 8191 cylinders left ...
>=20
> dmesg output is:
>=20
> sd0 at scsibus1 target 0 lun 0: <IBM, DDYS-T09170N, S96H> SCSI3 0/direct
> fixed
> sd0: 8748 MB, 15110 cyl, 3 head, 395 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 17916240
> sectors
> mesh: SCSI_CHECK && MESH_SENSE?
> mesh: SCSI_CHECK && MESH_SENSE?

> So why doesn't sysinst recognise the size and what are the two
> "mesh:" outputs mean?

What I don't understand is why the kernel recognises the disk but sysinst
not. sysinst get's it's information from the kernel, right?

If it's not possible to use sysinst I will do the installation by hand,
but I don't know how to get the following informations for the disklabel:

sectors/track:
tracks/cylinder:
sectors/cylinder:
interleave:
trackskew:
cylinderskew:
headswitch:
track-to-track seek:
drivedata:

Maybe they are not important and there are same save defaults?

So, is there somebody out there to enlighten me?

=09Regards
=09J=FCrgen
--=20
J=FCrgen Tritthardt              Max-Planck-Institut f=FCr med. Forschung
Tel. 06221/486279                          Abt. Biomedizinische Optik
Fax. 06221/486225                       Jahnstr. 29, 69120 Heidelberg