Subject: warning: no /dev/console
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: David Walker <diw@tpg.com.au>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/08/2001 02:34:10

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01C11FB2.9ACDC1A0

I got an install.
I watched with much excitement all those
filenames scroll up my screen.
I first tried a full install and it couldn't find comp.tgz and xcomp.tgz =
so
I skipped them and moved on. Of 12 sets found it extracted all 12.
I rebooted and got some green text. The same sort of stuff encountered
during a floppy boot. System info and that sort of thing.
It got past my display, pc speaker, keyboard and lots of other stuff and
then said:
warning: no /dev/console
This seems to me to suggest that something was missing during the =
install.
Perhaps one or both of the missing sets. I rebooted and tried again this
time with a custom install and selecting not to install the compilation
stuff. Well, it still wanted one of the sets (xcomp I think) so I =
skipped
and watched the files scroll. 12 sets found. I rebooted.
I got the green screen again and the same message.
I gathered from my reading that the 2 missing sets were for compiling =
your
own sources only and not necessary. As I don't think I'll be doing any =
of
that in the near future I didn't worry about them. Anyway, they were the
only 2 sets I didn't seem to have.
I wonder what no /dev/console means. Maybe I should try using the
generic_diagnostic.
Obviously I don't know.
Anyway, I've learnt a lot so far. Everytime I have to reboot I have to =
mk
the tmp dos, mount the msdos to the tmp, and now copy the files to the =
/usr,
etc. I'm starting to learn a few commands.
Best Wishes,
David Walker
diw@tpg.com.au
websupport@ntw.com.au

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01C11FB2.9ACDC1A0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>I got an install.<BR>I watched with much excitement all =
those<BR>filenames=20
scroll up my screen.<BR>I first tried a full install and it couldn't =
find=20
comp.tgz and xcomp.tgz so<BR>I skipped them and moved on. Of 12 sets =
found it=20
extracted all 12.<BR>I rebooted and got some green text. The same sort =
of stuff=20
encountered<BR>during a floppy boot. System info and that sort of =
thing.<BR>It=20
got past my display, pc speaker, keyboard and lots of other stuff =
and<BR>then=20
said:<BR>warning: no /dev/console<BR>This seems to me to suggest that =
something=20
was missing during the install.<BR>Perhaps one or both of the missing =
sets. I=20
rebooted and tried again this<BR>time with a custom install and =
selecting not to=20
install the compilation<BR>stuff. Well, it still wanted one of the sets =
(xcomp I=20
think) so I skipped<BR>and watched the files scroll. 12 sets found. I=20
rebooted.<BR>I got the green screen again and the same message.<BR>I =
gathered=20
from my reading that the 2 missing sets were for compiling your<BR>own =
sources=20
only and not necessary. As I don't think I'll be doing any of<BR>that in =
the=20
near future I didn't worry about them. Anyway, they were the<BR>only 2 =
sets I=20
didn't seem to have.<BR>I wonder what no /dev/console means. Maybe I =
should try=20
using the<BR>generic_diagnostic.<BR>Obviously I don't know.<BR>Anyway, =
I've=20
learnt a lot so far. Everytime I have to reboot I have to mk<BR>the tmp =
dos,=20
mount the msdos to the tmp, and now copy the files to the /usr,<BR>etc. =
I'm=20
starting to learn a few commands.<BR>Best Wishes,<BR>David Walker<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:diw@tpg.com.au">diw@tpg.com.au</A><BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:websupport@ntw.com.au">websupport@ntw.com.au</A></DIV></BO=