Subject: Re: warning: no /dev/console
To: David Walker <diw@tpg.com.au>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/07/2001 21:53:03
On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 02:34:10AM +0930, David Walker wrote:
> I got an install.
> I watched with much excitement all those
> filenames scroll up my screen.
> I first tried a full install and it couldn't find comp.tgz and xcomp.tgz so
> I skipped them and moved on. Of 12 sets found it extracted all 12.
> I rebooted and got some green text. The same sort of stuff encountered
> during a floppy boot. System info and that sort of thing.
> It got past my display, pc speaker, keyboard and lots of other stuff and
> then said:
> warning: no /dev/console

This means that the install didn't generate devices in /dev/.
Maybe it's because of the missing sets.
To fix this you can either reinstall with a custom install excluding the
missing sets, or fix "by hand": boot from floppy, get a shell (in the
utility menu) and mount your boot partition:
mount -o async /dev/wd0a /mnt
then use MAKEDEV to generate the device nodes:
cd /mnt/dev
sh MAKEDEV all

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>