Subject: Install from MSDOS partition.
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: David Walker <diw@tpg.com.au>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/06/2001 15:41:21

------=_NextPart_000_0077_01C11E8E.3DC51500

I have been reading for about 12 hours straight trying to work out my =
install problem.

I have an existing Windoze installation. I have downloaded most of =
NetBSD
1.5.1 to my windows system (weird but all the ftp sites I went to had =
empty
xfonts, man, and misc folders).
I used MS fdisk to partition my drive into 3 partitions but I left empty
space and used NetBSD boot program to partition the fourth as NetBSD. I =
also
used sysinst to change one of the partitions to MSDOS. It recognises all
partitions and shows their filesystem and size correctly.=20
According to the sysinst report: 0 is FAT32 (my windows partition).=20
1 is MSDOS & 2 Is my Extended Windows partition. And 4 for my NetBSD =
partition.
Disklabel basically shows what my sysinst table tells me, 0,1,2,3 and
corresponding cylinder, sector, etc. info.
I made my boot floppies and used them, all pretty easy until I get to
locating my tgz files on my windows partition. I presume I need to =
specify
they are located on an unmounted fs and so choose the appropriate =
option. I
have an IDE drive so change device to wd0. I tried many combinations of
filesystem and directory all to no avail.
I eventually moved the NetBSD files to the MSDOS partition I created =
with
sysinst as I imagined my problem was the inability of NetBSD to =
recognise
FAT32. The only way I could get windows to recognise the MSDOS partition =
and
let me move the files from windows to it was to format the MSDOS =
partition=20
(using the DOS command format).
No problem, the kern, etc. are on the MSDOS partition.
I still can't get sysinst to locate them.
When I get to locating my kern, etc. I have 2 options, install from an
'unmounted fs' or 'local directory'.
Do you know what the correct syntax is for completing this step? I =
presume I
am correct in choosing unmounted fs. I presume I am correct in choosing =
wd0
as the device. I presume I am correct in choosing MSDOS as the =
filesystem.
Choosing 'unmounted fs' I get 3 options to set: device (presumably the =
drive
name), filesystem (presumably MSDOS or ffs or ?), directory (presumably =
the
location within the drive). The default for device is sd0, as I have IDE =
set this to wd0. As my files are on my MSDOS partition I set filesystem =
MSDOS. The files are in the root directory so I merely set /.
For device I have tried wd0, wd0a through wd0g, hda1 through hda5, ad0s1
through ad0s5. For filesystem i have tried MSDOS, DOS, FAT. I have tried =
an
extremely large amount of directory structures.=20
I have tried specifying which partition in the device option and in the =
directory option=20
using DOS and what limited knowledge of Unix syntax I have.
However, because my MSDOS partition is recognised by disklabel perhaps =
it is already mounted.
So maybe instead of 'unmounted fs' I should choose 'local directory'.
If I choose local directory and presume that sysinst can access an MSDOS
partition then all I need to specify is a directory. I have
tried a large amount of variations with no success.=20
I wish I knew what to type as the path to the root directory of my MSDOS =
partition.
Oh, by the way, can anyone tell me where I can find info on the =
difference=20
between the generic and generic_diagnostic installs?

Best Wishes,
David Walker
diw@tpg.com.au
websupport@ntw.com.au

------=_NextPart_000_0077_01C11E8E.3DC51500

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I have been reading for about 12 =
hours straight=20
trying to work out my install problem.<BR><BR>I have an existing Windoze =

installation. I have downloaded most of NetBSD<BR>1.5.1 to my windows =
system=20
(weird but all the ftp sites I went to had empty<BR>xfonts, man, and =
misc=20
folders).<BR>I used MS fdisk to partition my drive into 3 partitions but =
I left=20
empty<BR>space and used NetBSD boot program to partition the fourth as =
NetBSD. I=20
also<BR>used sysinst to change one of the partitions to MSDOS. It =
recognises=20
all<BR>partitions and shows their filesystem and size correctly. =
<BR>According=20
to the sysinst report: 0 is FAT32 (my windows partition). <BR>1 is MSDOS =
&amp; 2=20
Is my Extended Windows partition. And 4 for my NetBSD =
partition.<BR>Disklabel=20
basically shows what my sysinst table tells me, 0,1,2,3 =
and<BR>corresponding=20
cylinder, sector, etc. info.<BR>I made my boot floppies and used them, =
all=20
pretty easy until I get to<BR>locating my tgz files on my windows =
partition. I=20
presume I need to specify<BR>they are located on an unmounted fs and so =
choose=20
the appropriate option. I<BR>have an IDE drive so change device to wd0. =
I tried=20
many combinations of<BR>filesystem and directory all to no avail.<BR>I=20
eventually moved the NetBSD files to the MSDOS partition I created=20
with<BR>sysinst as I imagined my problem was the inability of NetBSD to=20
recognise<BR>FAT32. The only way I could get windows to recognise the =
MSDOS=20
partition and<BR>let me move the files from windows to it was to format =
the=20
MSDOS partition <BR>(using the DOS command format).<BR>No problem, the =
kern,=20
etc. are on the MSDOS partition.<BR>I still can't get sysinst to locate=20
them.<BR>When I get to locating my kern, etc. I have 2 options, install =
from=20
an<BR>'unmounted fs' or 'local directory'.<BR>Do you know what the =
correct=20
syntax is for completing this step? I presume I<BR>am correct in =
choosing=20
unmounted fs. I presume I am correct in choosing wd0<BR>as the device. I =
presume=20
I am correct in choosing MSDOS as the filesystem.<BR>Choosing 'unmounted =
fs' I=20
get 3 options to set: device (presumably the drive<BR>name), filesystem=20
(presumably MSDOS or ffs or ?), directory (presumably the<BR>location =
within the=20
drive). The default for device is sd0, as I have IDE I<BR>set this to =
wd0. As my=20
files are on my MSDOS partition I set filesystem to<BR>MSDOS. The files =
are in=20
the root directory so I merely set /.<BR>For device I have tried wd0, =
wd0a=20
through wd0g, hda1 through hda5, ad0s1<BR>through ad0s5. For filesystem =
i have=20
tried MSDOS, DOS, FAT. I have tried an<BR>extremely large amount of =
directory=20
structures. <BR>I have tried specifying which partition in the device =
option and=20
in the directory option <BR>using DOS and what limited knowledge of Unix =
syntax=20
I have.<BR>However, because my MSDOS partition is recognised by =
disklabel=20
perhaps it is already mounted.<BR>So maybe instead of 'unmounted fs' I =
should=20
choose 'local directory'.<BR>If I choose local directory and presume =
that=20
sysinst can access an MSDOS<BR>partition then all I need to specify is a =

directory. I have<BR>tried a large amount of variations with no success. =
<BR>I=20
wish I knew what to type as the path to the root directory of my MSDOS=20
partition.<BR>Oh, by the way, can anyone tell me where I can find info =
on the=20
difference <BR>between the generic and generic_diagnostic =
installs?<BR><BR>Best=20
Wishes,<BR>David Walker<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:diw@tpg.com.au">diw@tpg.com.au</A><BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:websupport@ntw.com.au">websupport@ntw.com.au</A></FONT></D=