Subject: Re: PDF version of INSTALL notes
To: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 07/29/2001 18:26:57
On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Michael Wolfson wrote:

: :)BTW, if you happen to know the proper HFS creator/type for PDFs as seen by
: :)the Mac, I'd like to add it to src/distrib/cdrom/hfsmap.lst
:
: You ought to use:
: 		type	creator
: .pdf		PDF 	CARO		# note the space after "PDF "
: .txt		TEXT	MOSS		# INSTALL.txt is too big for SimpleText
: .html		TEXT	MOSS
: .ps		TEXT	JTMC		# MacGhostView
: ofwboot.xcf	tbxi	chrp

OK, I'll update these.  I also have .hqx (TEXT/BnHq), .gz (TEXT/GNUz), .tgz
(TEXT/GNUz).

I had originally set up .txt as TEXT/ttxt, presuming that better text
readers might `take over' that creator ID, but I'll put MOSS in there
instead.

: If you set up ofwboot.xcf right, you should be able to boot Open Firmware 3
: systems from CD-R by simply holding down the 'c' key during boot.

[!!!]  Had I known this, it'd have been set up that way from the get-go.
I'll make sure the next ISOs for macppc include the correct creator/type for
ofwboot.

Although, would this have the usual problem of not finding the right kernel
name (netbsd.macppc)?  Something to try....

: BTW, the NetBSD/macppc 1.5.1 CD image has all of the files with creator
: nbsd.  While that's kinda cool, it'd probably be better if they were MSIE,
: MOSS, or ttxt.

The hfsmap.lst defaults for unknown extensions (those which weren't .hqx,
.tzt, .ps, .gz, or .tgz) are "nbsd"; the list you gave above should help
clarify them in future ISOs.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/