Subject: Re: PDF version of INSTALL notes
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 07/29/2001 15:09:54
At 5:42 PM -0400 7/29/01, Todd Vierling wrote:

:)It's relatively simple:  take the postscript version, run it through gs,
:)with output of PDF.  It can't necessarily be required to be automatic (as
:)ghostscript is a pretty high overhead program, particularly on slow
:)machines), but it could be done in part of the release machining before
:)opening a release to the public.

Ahh -- I had dismissed the idea of gs, since I assumed it would have to be
in-tree as part of the doc generation process.  But if it's reserved only
for release machining, then that might be a good solution.

:)BTW, if you happen to know the proper HFS creator/type for PDFs as seen by
:)the Mac, I'd like to add it to src/distrib/cdrom/hfsmap.lst

You ought to use:
		type	creator
.pdf		PDF 	CARO		# note the space after "PDF "
.txt		TEXT	MOSS		# INSTALL.txt is too big for SimpleText
.html		TEXT	MOSS
.ps		TEXT	JTMC		# MacGhostView
ofwboot.xcf	tbxi	chrp

If you set up ofwboot.xcf right, you should be able to boot Open Firmware 3
systems from CD-R by simply holding down the 'c' key during boot.

Much as I hate to admit it, Internet Explorer (MSIE) is a reasonable
browser on MacOS, and is installed on all recent systems.  Netscape (MOSS)
just isn't quite as good, but this brings up another issue -- the HTML
generated by the basesrc/distrib/notes tools is pretty atrocious.  Internet
Explorer totally barfs while trying to read it.  Netscape takes a long
time, but it works.

See:
http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=13532

BTW, the NetBSD/macppc 1.5.1 CD image has all of the files with creator
nbsd.  While that's kinda cool, it'd probably be better if they were MSIE,
MOSS, or ttxt.

Thanks,
  -- MW