Subject: Re: Inappropriate file type or format
To: otaku <tech-install@netbsd.org, otaku@uswestmail.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-install
Date: 07/22/2001 03:50:59
In article <20010722000250.15416.cpmta@c000.sfo.cp.net> you wrote:
> I  have done everything I described above for NetBSD 1.5.1. When booting, though, I get the error "Inappropriate file type or format" when it tries to load wd0a:netbsd. It then will switch over to wd0a:netbsd.old.
>
> It has been quite a while since I installed a new kernel on a NetBSD system, so I may have missed a step or overlooked a small detail.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

It seems you forgot to update your bootblock.
The 1.4.x bootblock cannot load a ELF kernel (as it comes wiht
1.5). Run /usr/mdec/installboot with proper arguments.

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html
Of course with your #1 IPv6 ready operating system -> www.NetBSD.org