Subject: Re: Getting started, the OS that is...
To: Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 07/19/2001 14:01:47
Sam,

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Sam Carleton wrote:

> I have spent some time working with Linux, Solaris (on both Intel and
> SPARC), and FreeBSD.  I now have NetBSD installed on an old machine here
> and plain to use it as a firewall.

Welcome!

> 1: who reads in the /etc/rc.conf and really gets things up and running?
> Back with FreeBSD, I do believe it was /etc/rc, but it does not look to
> be the case on NetBSD.

/etc/rc.conf is read by /etc/rc. The code itself sources it:
. /etc/rc.conf

Also, have a quick look at the rc.conf and rc manual pages.
The system defaults are in /etc/defaults/rc.conf (and you override them in
/etc/rc.conf).

> 2: Is there some basic instructions to setup a basic firewall/NAT?  I
> saw the info on the HTTP manual, but that is using ppp and I simply am
> not with it enough for it to click with me.  I can get the rules in
> place, I just need some help with the infrastructure.

Have a look at the ipnat.conf and ipf.conf manual pages. Tell us a little
more about your particular firewalling and address translation needs. What
are your firewalling goals?

By the way, your questions were posted to a list for the technical
development for the installation routines. You may find better answers at
the general netbsd-help list. You can learn more about the lists and their
intended purposes at http://www.netbsd.org/MailingLists/. I carbon-copied
this email to netbsd-help.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/