Subject: Re: no installing any kernels in a release binary/kernel directory.
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 07/06/2001 11:20:49
On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Simon Burge wrote:

: The following patch adds the ability for a port not to install any
: kernels at all in a release's binary/kernel directory.
:
: The pmax port doesn't need any extra model-specific kernels - the one
: in the "kern" set is good on all models.  From reading release(7), a
: netbsd.GENERIC.gz isn't mandatory, and there's no use adding another
: megabyte or do to the distribution that is effectively dead wood.

Actually, I don't like the fact that we use a "kern" set at all, because
some architectures really *need* the user to select a kernel usable on the
hardware.

I'd personally rather see sysinst changed to pull the kernel from
binary/kernels, rather than kern.tgz.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/