Subject: Re: help with Gateway2000.
To: Andrew Ambrose <aambrose@ennovatenetworks.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/18/2001 20:20:35
On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Andrew Ambrose wrote:
> I am trying to install NetBSD 1.4 on Gateway 2000.  can anyone help me with
> how I can create boot disk for this system... I tried booting from the cd
> didn't work.

Assuming a Gateway2000 is a PC, here's what the 1.4 install docs say:

     No matter which installation medium you choose, you'll need to have a
     floppy disk (either 1.2M or 1.44M will work). You'll put the boot floppy
     image ("boot1.fs" and "boot2.fs" for 1.44M floppies, "boot-tiny.fs" for
     1.2M floppies) onto this disk, which contains software to install or up-
     grade your NetBSD system.  Note that the "boot-tiny.fs" image is tailored
     for "small" machines, this install image does not have drivers for PCI,
     PCMCIA, EISA or SCSI (i.e. ISA-only), but can be used on machines with
     only 4MB of RAM.

     If you are using a UN*X-like system to write the floppy images to disks,
     you should use the dd command to copy the file system image(s) (.fs file)
     directly to the raw floppy disk. It is suggested that you read the dd(1)
     manual page or ask your system administrator to determine the correct set
     of arguments to use; it will be slightly different from system to system,
     and a comprehensive list of the possibilities is beyond the scope of this
     document.

     If you are using DOS to write the floppy image(s) to floppy disk, you
     should use the rawrite utility, provided in the i386/utilities directory
     of the NetBSD distribution. It will write a file system image (.fs file)
     to a floppy disk.

See INSTALL.txt (INSTALL.html, etc.) of your install docs for the full
story. It's highly recommended reading it!

That said, the latest NetBSD release is 1.5, and 1.5.1 seems to be around
the corner.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>