Subject: Re: 3WARE Escalade support
To: netboy <netboy@winterhill.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/06/2001 10:02:13
On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, netboy wrote:

> I have built a system with a 3WARE Esalade controller controlling
> 2 drives in a mirrored configuration.  I tried to install netbsd
> 1.5 but the install program did not detect the drive(s).  The only
> way I could get netbsd to install was to put another hard drive on
> the system's primary IDE controller and install netbsd on it.  At
> system startup, the Escalade is detected.

> Is there a way to install netbsd directly to the drives on the
> Escalade card?

The "twe" driver has been in the INSTALL kernel on current since last
October, so that capability will be fully supported in NetBSD 1.6.

You might be able to get away with using the install floppies from a
current snapshot with the 1.5 sets.

> Otherwise, how do I configure the system to use the drives on the
> Escalade card?

The hard way: fdisk(8), disklabel(8), dump(8), restore(8). I suggest
you try some current floppies first...

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snapshot/20010407-1.5T/installation/floppy/boot1.fs
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snapshot/20010407-1.5T/installation/floppy/boot2.fs

Frederick