Subject: Re: VLB
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Florian_St=F6hr?= <flo@wolfnode.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 03/14/2001 08:00:41
On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Florian St=F6hr wrote:

> i use NetBSD on many computers from 386 to PII,
> but: has anyone of you really yet made it to install
> on a 486 machine with a VLB board?

Yes. I've used it regularly on two machines, from 1.3.2 to 1.4.3. I've
also tried a 1.5_BETA. It only ran for a few days before the hard disk
turned out to be defective, but otherwise fine. They're both running
NetBSD-1.4.3 now.

> nothing happens after "isa0 at mainbus0".

Maybe some device is killing it on being probed. On mine, which is a
Micronics JX30WB motherboard, I found I had to build a custom INSTALL
kernel with "wdc1" disabled (but even with it, it got farther than
yours did).

VLB was a strange animal. I expect they all have their own quirks. I
suggest you try the install_tiny kernel. Since that kernel has support
for fewer devices, there's fewer devices probed, and so it's less
likely that a probe will set something off.

Frederick