Subject: Re: (Fwd) 1.5 install fails during device creation on cyrix dlc-40
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Michael E. Cannella <cannella@msu.edu>
List: tech-install
Date: 01/15/2001 23:19:03
It's a stock 2-floppy 1.5 install.

I'm not sure I follow you on running "tr"; i assume you're not talking
about the character translation command?  Is "tr" some kind of
debugger trace?

I'm grateful for the help, and I'll be happy to do it, if you let me know
exactly what I've got to do.  I need to bring my fw down to do it, and
switch drives, which I can't do until later in the week.

Thanks,

Mike

Once upon a time (14:56 on 14 Jan 2001, actually) Manuel Bouyer alleged the following

> On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 02:52:14PM -0500, Michael E. Cannella wrote:
> > I've been running my firewall on 1.4.2 on a cyrix 486 DLC-40 with 16M RAM for six
> > months or so without too many problems.
> >
> > I recently tried, unsuccessfully, to install 1.5 (booting from floppy,
> > sets on CD) .  Everything goes normally until device creation, at
> > which point there is an error:
> >

> > uvm_fault (0xc2646468,0xbfefe000,0,1) -> 1
> > kernel: page fault trap, code=0
> > stopped in mknod at 0xc0251c72:mov1  0(%esi,%eax,4),%ebx
>
> Is this a stock 1.5 intall floppy (important to map addrs back to
> names) ?
> Can you post output of 'tr' ?
>
> --
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
> --

Whaddaya want for nothing?  A rubber biscuit?
Michael Cannella     -     cannella@msu.edu