Subject: Re: Network installer..
To: Alan Horn <ahorn@inktomi.com>
From: Claus Andersen <clan@wheel.dk>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/01/2000 10:29:24
On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Alan Horn wrote:

> Each,
>
> I have taken on a small project, and before it really gets underway I
> thought I'd check to see if there's any existing tools or similar projects
> happening out there.
>
> I am attempting to take the install process an create a network install
> version, i.e. an install server from which installs automatically happen,
> plus the capacity for install profiles etc.. for i386 this would most
> likely still need a boot disk image etc.. and the process is no doubt a
> lot harder than I initially see.. :) Anyway, the idea being that with
> several hundred installs to take place the job can be drastically
> streamlined and take hours instead of days.

Depending on how much effort you want to put into it you should definately
have a look at the Intel PXE (Preeboot eXecution Environment)
Specification (http://developer.intel.com/ial/wfm/).
It makes your everyday PC able to obtain an IP address by either DHCP or
BOOTP and then download a diskimage by TFTP.
I have used this on several large installations and i t actually works in
real life tough I haven't seen any work done specifically for NetBSD it
should be possible.
All newer PC's supports this (formally PC98 compliant).

Kind Regards,
Claus Andersen