Subject: Network installer..
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Alan Horn <ahorn@inktomi.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/01/2000 02:21:48
Each,

I have taken on a small project, and before it really gets underway I
thought I'd check to see if there's any existing tools or similar projects
happening out there.

I am attempting to take the install process an create a network install
version, i.e. an install server from which installs automatically happen,
plus the capacity for install profiles etc.. for i386 this would most
likely still need a boot disk image etc.. and the process is no doubt a
lot harder than I initially see.. :) Anyway, the idea being that with
several hundred installs to take place the job can be drastically
streamlined and take hours instead of days.

For those of you familiar with Solaris jumpstart, I'm trying to acheive
something similar.

As a sweetener, if we get this right, it may result in a _large_ NetBSD
installation at a site that I know (not this site I'm emailing from I
hasten to add.. ;)

So, any help greatly appreciated...

Cheers,

Al

--
                                 Alan C. Horn
                 Inktomi - Unix System Administrator, Europe.