Subject: sysinst media choice 'cdrom'
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/11/2000 01:36:32
What are people's experiences with official NetBSD CD-ROMs and the sysinst
media choice 'cdrom' ?

The last time I tried it (with 1.4.2), it just didn't work for me.
I had to edit all three fields (device, fstype, directory) because
the defaults didn't find my tarballs and even then it didn't do what
I expected. Since I followed release(7) to the letter (I think), I
gave up and used 'unmounted fs' because I had used that successfully
in the past.

IMHO the media choice 'cdrom' should have no options at all if there
is only one CDROM in the system, and only one option (choose a CDROM)
if there are multiple CDROM drives available.

If you've seen the FreeBSD-2.2.x install CD, it is one example of this.

Let's change the menu item 'cdrom' to 'NetBSD cdrom' so it's obvious that
we control the content of the CD they're using when they pick that option.
Then do a scan for 'cd[0-9]+' devices similar to the scan for boot disks,
give them a choice if there is more than one, and hardwire the options:
	device: ${chosen_dev}
	fstype: cd9660
	directory: NetBSD-${VERSION}/${MACHINE}/binary/sets

There is no point in letting people edit these fields in the 'cdrom' case,
and it only confuses new users.

Besides, the choice 'unmounted fs' is always available for that.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com