Subject: Re: menuc vs libmenu
To: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-install
Date: 07/24/2000 23:14:38
In message <200007250605.XAA01198@fawn.cs.wwu.edu>Phil Nelson writes

>>Phil: would it be possible to rescuscitate that code for the
>>1.5 release timeframe?
>
>I doubt it, but I will look at it. [...]

no worries; just asking.

>I have considered this ... that to get multi-language we have to
>replicate the entire specification.  I was wondering if there
>couldn't be a way to specify the multi-lingual text in the same
>definition.   Something like:

>   option {en: "english text", fr: "french text", ...}, ....;

Either that, or a unique message-name, plus a set of per-language
files with {name, text} pairs.

That's how the Vomit-Making System did message i18n; it worked fairly
well., and (imho) might be less cluttered.  It does have the downside
that message names are probably in english :)

still, either approach would be an improvement.