Subject: Re: Correct sparc boot floppy image.
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Brian A. Seklecki - Stargate Industries, LLC <lavalamp@stargate.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 04/16/2000 04:06:22
Scratch that, I know how things go, so I'll get the ball rolling.

Here are the existing floppy install directions:

Installing NetBSD by using the bootable floppy.

The NetBSD install floppy works only on the sun4c and sun4m class
machines.  From the OpenBOOT prompt, the following
should boot the floppy.
    ok boot fd(,,1)                 # for version 1 OpenBOOT ROMs
    ok boot /fd                     # either of these for version
    ok boot floppy                  # 2 OpenBOOT ROMs

After the initial probe messages you'll be asked to start the install or
upgrade procedure. Proceed to the section Running the
installation scripts below.

Here is a more realistic set of instructions:

Installing NetBSD by using the bootable floppy.

The NetBSD install floppy works only on the sun4c and sun4m class
machines.  If your sparc machine is equipped with a floppy drive (ss1,
ss2, LX, IPX, etc), you may use a bootable diskette to start the install
process; from there, you may choose to install from any of the above
mentioned media.  To do so, use a generic 1.44 MB capacity floppy disk.
You will need to download a copy of the bootable floppy images from the
NetBSD FTP site.

The two images in question are:

../installation/bootfs/boot-14x.fs.gz - A script based installation
program, similar to the SunOS installation
../installation/bootfs/syboot-14x.fs.gz - A text-menu based installation
program, similar to the i386 install.

You will need to un-gzip either image before you write it to a diskette.
You can use the rawrite.exe or fdimage.exe utilities in DOS, or use the DD
command in UNIX oriented systems.  Once you have done this, insert the
bootable diskette into the system you wish to install upon and bring the
machine to the OpenBOOT prompt.

once you are at the "OK" prompt, issue the following commands:

setenv boot-file netbsd.gz [return]
setenv boot-device floppy (or "setenv boot-device /fd") [return]
nvramrc [return]
boot [return]

When the system resets, it will immediately boot off the floppy drive.
This will need to be changed after you complete the install process.

-Brian