Subject: Correct sparc boot floppy image.
To: None <>
From: Brian A. Seklecki - Stargate Industries, LLC <LavaList@Stargate.Net>
List: tech-install
Date: 04/09/2000 08:34:44
Good morning everyone (at least EST).  I just subscribed, so I hope I'm
flaming the right list with this question.  I'm looking to do a floppy boot
on an old SparcStation 2 (sun4c, sun4m compatible).

"SPARCstation 2, No Keyboard
ROM Rev. 2.9, 64 MB memory installed,"

I've done this once before, when 1.4.1 was new.  It was a SparcStation
LX.  I simply forget what file you're supposed to use to make a boot
floppy.  The installation instructions at:

Say its 100% possible, they simply don't outline which image to use.  I
presume it would either be boot-142.fs.gz or syboot-142.fs.gz from  I
use rawrite2.exe to make the image on a standard 1.44 floppy, pop it in:

ok setenv boot-device floppy
boot-device =         floppy
ok setenv boot-file netbsd.gz
boot-file =           netbsd.gz
ok boot floppy
Boot device: /fd   File and args: netbsd.gz
Can't read disk label.
Can't open Sun disk label package
Can't open boot device

I tried setting the "boot-file" variable to "netbsd", "netbsd.gz", "bsd",
"bsd.gz", "netbds.GENERIC".  Same error message.

Can anyone offer some insight on this?  I plan on contacting the port-sparc
list as well to make sure the installation instructions on the next release
explain this procedure?

Brian A. Seklecki                       Stargate Industries, LLC
Network Operations Center
The Crane Building, Suite 300           (412) 316-STAR x7719 - voice
40 24th St.                             (412) 316-7899       - fax
Pittsburgh, PA  15222                   BSeklecki@Stargate.Net