Subject: Re: instkernel?
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 03/26/2000 19:50:33
mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

> I've noticed that some architectures provide:
>
>   .../ARCH/installation/instkernel
>
> in the release (for example NetBSD-1.4.2/alpha has this) while others
> don't (notably, macppc, pmax).  I was wondering why.

For pmax, the install kernel is in binary/kernel/install.gz.  There's
no mention of a "installation/instkernel" in release(7), which is why
I stuck the install kernel in the directory that contained "suitably
named, gzipped kernels".

If release(7) changes, so will I :-)

> Since macppc should
> be able to boot from a CD-ROM (and pmax too in -current), it would be nice
> to have a sysinst kernel available for making bootable CD-ROMs.

Just to nitpick, technically the pmax was always able to boot from
a CD-ROM - recently the CD-ROM could be in ISO9660 format instead of
just FFS ;)

Simon.