Subject: Re: instkernel?
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 03/26/2000 01:27:43
> I've noticed that some architectures provide:
>   .../ARCH/installation/instkernel
> in the release (for example NetBSD-1.4.2/alpha has this) while others
> don't (notably, macppc, pmax).  I was wondering why.  Since macppc should
> be able to boot from a CD-ROM (and pmax too in -current), it would be nice
> to have a sysinst kernel available for making bootable CD-ROMs.

I quite agree.

Simply put, there historically has not been a lot of central coordination
in the src/distrib directory.

I started working on this during 1.4.2 but was already mostly burnt out and
didn't get very far.

Install kernels are just the tip of the iceberg; there are lots of other
install materials that could be consistently built across the various ports.

I need some time to recharge after 1.4.2 but I probably can get this stuff
squeezed into 1.5 before it goes out.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com