Subject: Re: Release goo for 1.4.2_ALPHA
To: None <rh@netbsd.org, rh@idle.trapdoor.vip.at>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: tech-install
Date: 02/05/2000 18:33:47
> > I would rather suggest that we admit it, and no longer support the
> > single 1.44MB floppy install image for the "default" installation.
>
>   What about splitting off EISA?  No modern system comes with
> an EISA bus any more, and for those who need it we could offer
> a separate bootfloppy-eisa image.

That's INSTALL_SMALL (which I suggested we add the build of ;-)

It supports ISA, EISA, SCSI, but not audio devices, PCI or PCMCIA.

I agree that no modern systems come with EISA.  Does there exist
i386 machines with both EISA and PCI?  If so, it's pretty much a
show-stopper for chucking out the EISA devices from the default
install floppy -- we really ought to support installs on such
systems in a good manner as well.

Longer-term (e.g. for 1.4.3 or 1.5) I see already that Frank's
talking about dhcp, and Itojun is talking about IPv6 support, and we
may eventually actually make ppp work by adding pppd and whatever
else is needed.  I'm not sure how much we would gain by chucking out
the EISA devices, so we may eventually need to give up on the
single-floppy goal anyway.  It's not like it's a big defeat, now, is
it?  Besides, it's also a pretty easy solution.

Regards,

- H=E5vard