Subject: Re: Release goo for 1.4.2_ALPHA
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 02/04/2000 23:48:25
[ adding port-i386 since this was brought up there recently by someone else ]

> i386: INSTALL kernel .gz is just a little too big to fit on the "outer"
> FFS, but it would fit if we could free up the 27 unused inodes on the boot
> floppy -- or move to ustarfs... If I remove NFS (yeah, I know..) then
> there's plenty of room.

Manuel Bouyer requeste killing PPP instead; I found that PPP is already
commented out except for the pseudo devs. (200 bytes, ooh ahh :/ ) darn.

So I am still removing options NFS to get my i386 install floppies to finish
building.

There _would_ be just enough space if we could create an FFS with only 3
inodes on it instead of the minimum of 32... ideas people?

I'd prefer to avoid creating yet another "libhack" routine that can drift
behind the real libc code, and cause linker errors when things get out of
sync. That just happened with opendir.c, and macppc's crunched binary
wouldn't link until I fixed it by adjusting the libhack version.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com