Subject: Release goo for 1.4.2_ALPHA
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 02/02/2000 05:01:11
I'm trying to build a reasonably complete distribution of 1.4.2_ALPHA from
sources checked out with -D 20000127-UTC. This time I am including X11 and
the domestic stuff as I finally have got those figured out.

In general the tarballs go pretty well, but the release goo has problems.
Stuff I have run into so far:

macppc: install floppy ramdisk can't be built because libhack.o contains a
stunted opendir.o, but somebody's changed the real one to have a private
internal interface __opendir2() which takes flags -- and some other library
routine is dragging that in. So we have both the libc opendir() and the
libhack opendir() causing a multiple definition error in the linker. This
causes the link of macppc/floppies/ramdisk/ramdiskbin to Lose Mightily.

i386: INSTALL kernel .gz is just a little too big to fit on the "outer"
FFS, but it would fit if we could free up the 27 unused inodes on the boot
floppy -- or move to ustarfs... If I remove NFS (yeah, I know..) then
there's plenty of room.

arm32: have to disable the Xserver because it tries to build i386 assembly
in xfree86. Probably the Xarm32 patches haven't been re-integrated yet.
Client-only X is fine, and everything else builds.

next68k: have to enable client-only X because it's not in there yet! Once
done, it works fine and I can run xload from my next.

alpha/sparc/mac68k/sun3/vax: no problems yet, but I haven't started checking
them to see what release bits are missing.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com