Subject: Re: Uh-oh: 3c5x9 with install/generic doubleprobes!
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Matthew N. Dodd <winter@jurai.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 01/27/2000 00:52:39
On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that when the isapnp front-end to 'ep' was added care
> was taken to ensure that this couldn't happen.  Anyway, 1.5 will not
> be installable for folks with ISA 3Com cards if this isn't fixed, so I
> suggest that whoever broke it, fix it. :-)

The double probes are an artifact of the 3c509B responding to the 3com
specific autodetection as well as the PnP; some cards can be set to use
both, one or the other or none.

Reading word 0x13 from the EEPROM and checking to see if bit 0x08 is set
iff EEPROM word 0x10 is equal to 0x2083 indicates that the board has PnP
support turned on.

It took me a few tries to get this right in the FreeBSD driver but in the
end it was worth it since all 3c509 boards are now auto-detected and
require no wired config in the kernel.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |