Subject: Re: Uh-oh: 3c5x9 with install/generic doubleprobes!
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
From: Roine Thunberg <>
List: tech-install
Date: 01/20/2000 23:40:44
On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> I have several 3c509B cards in machines here.  These cards are in PnP mode,
> either new out of the box or set that way with the DOS configuration utility.
> With -current install or GENERIC kernels (i386, but I assume this problem
> exists on other ports that support ISA) they double-probe, once with the
> ISA attachment and once with the ISAPnP attachment.  The card gets
> initialized twice and neither the resulting ep0 nor ep1 actually work.
I've installed atleast four computers with 3c509 cards (I presume that
this includes all of the 3c509 family) without any problems at all. Exept
for one that did a conflict between it and a soundcard. And ofcourse, I
did install them from the net.

The machines are:

1. a HP Vectra 500 (486dx4/100)
2. a Digital DECpc LPv+ (486dx2/66)
3. a generic P200
4. a generic P100

Mabye I've succeded with having P'n'P disabled in BIOS.

E-Mail:		ICQ-UIN: 3586115