Subject: IPv6 support in install floppy
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 01/02/2000 02:00:12
	I would like to commit changes to support IPv6 transport in install
	floppy (query DNS over IPv6, grab tar.gz over IPv6 ftp).
	This is basically an integration of work done by Ichiro Fukuhara
	<ichiro@ichiro.org> for KAME/NetBSD141.  The boot floppy will:
	- ask user if he wants IPv6 connectivity, and if he said yes,
	  tries to autoconfigure itself as IPv6 host
	  (you do not need to type IPv6 address of the host, nor router)
	- let you pick IPv6 DNS server from famous ones, or let you type that
	  in.  as IPv6 addresses are harder to remember I thought this is a
	  good thing to add.  this may be hard to maintain the list of DNS
	  servers, though.

	you are now free to choose:
	- configure IPv6 only and use IPv6 ftp servers
	- configure IPv4 only and use IPv4 ftp servers
	- configure both and use any ftp servers IPv4
	(now IPv4 configuration is optional!)

	There are couple of TODOs:
	- french translation for added/changed messages - sorry I can't do it.
	- IPv6 IPv4 dhcp support would be nice.
	- maybe more sanity checks after configuring the host?
	- more testing

	At this moment I've tested it with i386 only, but should be
	straightforward to put it to other architectures.
		ftp://ftp.itojun.org/pub/netbsd/v6install/
	has diffs (for src/distrib and src/sys/i386/conf) and test boot
	floppy image.

	If the diff looks okay, I would like to commit it to repository.
	Please comment.

itojun