Subject: Re: Changing boot floppy network drivers
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 12/31/1999 12:20:39
On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:

> I'm trying to install NetBSD on my wonderful new etower and it's not
> recognizing the Linksys fastether card. Anyone have any pointers to how I
> can change the network drivers? I'm guessing that making boot floppies in
> the distrib/i386/floppies is still broken since I can't get it to work
> even before I change things.

"make release DESTDIR=... RELEASEDIR=... INSTALL_DONE=1" in
/usr/src/etc builds the floppies correctly against 1.4.2_Alpha (after
"make build ..."), also "make release ..." in /usr/src. You can build
from within /usr/src/distrib, of course, but not cleanly from the top.
Evidently, you must do everything in the same order that "make
release" at the top does.

I managed to patch 1.4.1-i386 to recognize alternate install kernels,
but never pulled that down to current. I did commit patches for mac68k
to recognize EXTRA_INSTALL_KERNELS, and requested pull-ups. That's a
nice feature, but all you really need to do for yourself is to edit
.../i386/conf/INSTALL in your own tree. Then build the kernel; then
build the notes, the ramdisk, and the floppies in /usr/src/distrib.