Subject: Re: putting more 'make' into 'make snapshot'
To: None <fb@enteract.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 12/22/1999 23:29:59
> Consider, too: on the old Quadra, "make cleandir" alone takes over an
> hour, so after recovering from a stall caused by a dumb error (after
> cleandir), I often pick it up with UPDATE set. So please don't get rid
> of UPDATE altogether.

Beep. Misunderstanding detected.

I have no desire to eliminate the functionality provided by UPDATE.

I just don't like how it's accessed.

I would much rather have a few high-level targets, perhaps:

	new-source	update share/mk, and so on; stuff necessary after
			fetching new sources so that 'make cleandir' will work.

	cleandir	undo all effects under BSDSRCDIR of 'make world'.

	world		build everything and install it, in a "safe" order.

Then 'make build' and 'make new-source cleandir world' do the same thing.

I think this is a lot clearer and easier to use than the UPDATE= model.

It also eliminates the possibility of low-level makefiles doing something
weird and not necessarily desirable just because UPDATE is set.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com